The Hollies Logo

Bookkeeping and Accounting Services In Shropshire

Call 01743 790086 Email

self assessment paper forms

Filing Self Assessment Paper Forms

If you’re registered for Self Assessment, you must complete a tax return each year, even if you have no tax to pay. This can be done online or using self assessment paper forms, however if you are filing yours on paper, this must be returned to HMRC by midnight on 31st October 2014. 

If you are a self employed sole trader, a partner in a business partnership or a company director, you must always send a tax return either online or by completing the self assessment paper forms. If you miss the deadline for completing your self assessment paper forms,  file your tax return online by 31st January 2015 to avoid paying a penalty.

The self assessment paper forms will contain instructions on how they must be completed. It is vital that these are followed. For example, self assessment paper forms must be completed in black ink and mistakes must be crossed out with the corrections written below the box.Have a look through the self assessment paper forms before starting to complete them, and ensure that there is a section for each of your income and claims. Should there not be, you may need to fill in a supplementary form, found here. Self assessment paper forms must include your Unique Tax Reference number (UTR), National Insurance Number (NINO) and, if you have one, your Employer Reference. Always make sure that your full name and address ahve been put correctly at the start of your self assessment paper forms.

If you are self employed, with simple tax affairs and turnover less than £79,000 a year, form SA103S (Self Employment Short) can be completed. If you are self employed, but have complicated tax affairs or turnover more than £79,000 a year, form SA103F (Self Employment Full) must be completed. 

For more information on Self Assessment, and setting up as Self Employed, visit our Self Employment guide